Search This Blog

Monday, June 18, 2018

Picky eaters

I remember working with juvenile delinquents when I was younger.  There were a few dare devil kids who I loved to take into the woods around the home where I worked as a resident counselor.  They were always game to experiment with wild foods that we could gather together.  I think that is a powerful tool when trying to get kids to eat healthy.  If they learn about it, gather it, and learn to cook it in a flavorful way, it is something they are more likely to taste and eat and hopefully, carry with them into the future.  I have talked to parents who without prompting, told me that after reading the book with their child, the child asked to do research on wild things they could eat from their back yard.  They told me that they found that redbud blossoms ( and seed pods ) were both edible and they had already gathered and eaten some.  Kids are curious by nature.  Cash in on that curiosity and join them in the wilds of your own back yard!

No comments:

Post a Comment