Search This Blog

Saturday, July 6, 2019

Mulberries

We have a towering old mulberry tree at our house.  When we first moved in around 25 years ago all the mulberries were blue and about 10 years ago the ripe ones are all white.  Very strange.  Anyways this year we had a bumper crop and I just hate to see them go to waste and I don't much care for them so here is what I did. 
1.  Spread out old curtains under the trees to catch all the berries.  Made that job of separating them so much easier.  We did this several days a week. 
2.  gather up the good ones and freeze some of them for pies ( I always use them with other berries, never alone ) and freeze the bad ones for my mother in law's parrots.  they love them!  Took some across the street for the neighborhood chickens too.
3.  My new favorite thing.... throw them in the dehydrator and dry them.  They come out crispy/crunchy and slightly sweet.  A perfect topping for my morning yogart!  I love it.


No comments:

Post a Comment